How to use this site
Touring the site
- To take a tour of the features on the site, click here. (Note: The tour may not work on all devices.)
- Click on a story to read it.
- Click on Change language to read the story in a different language.
- Click on en and fr icons to switch quickly between English and French, respectively.
- Please note that this only changes the language of the text. Click on Change language to change the language of the audio as well.
Listening to stories
- Click on the icon beside any text on the page to hear the text read aloud.
- To pause or restart the audio at any point, click on the icon.
- To hear the entire story read aloud, click on the audio controls at the top of the page. (Please note that not all stories have audio versions.)
- For example, on Firefox, the audio controls should look similar to this:
- On Chrome or Chromium, the audio controls should look similar to this:
- Note: Depending on your operating system and browser, the audio controls may appear different than in the screenshots above.
- If you do not see any audio controls, or if the audio controls are greyed out, it means that there is no audio available for that language at this time.
- (Beta) To autoplay the entire story one page at a time, press the button at the top of the page. Each page of the story will highlight as it is being read.
- If you would like to listen to the stories at a different speed (for example, more slowly), there are two options:
- If you are using a recent version of Firefox, you can use the built-in audio controls to change the speed. Simply right-click on the audio controls and under Play Speed select a different speed, for example Slow (0.5x)
- You can also download the audio to your computer and open the file in a different application (for example, VLC Media Player) where you can adjust the playback speed.
- To download any story as a PDF, click on the Download PDF button at the top or bottom of the page.
- To download the full audio for any story, right-click on the audio controls at the top of the page and select Save Audio as... to save the audio file to your computer.
- Depending on your operating system and browser, there may be a download icon on your audio control panel, which you can click to save the story to your machine: .